Saturday, August 7, 2010

Unlikely Christ Figure


One of the first movies I ever saw in the theater was E.T. After seeing it as a 5-year-old boy I was enthralled. I caught E.T. fever and had all the E.T. paraphernalia you could think of, well almost. The basic idea is; I loved the movie. So I was delighted to come across this quote:
"Steven Spielberg's character E.T. is, I think, a genuine Christ figure: recall the themes of preexistence, growth, teaching, miracle, healing, death, resurrection, and ascension. Spielberg denied this parallel, but in my view it is objectively there, even if Spielberg was unconscious of it. The reason is that the human mind has a need for the gospel like that of the New Testament. Those who don't accept the gospel often instinctively give to their idolatrous inventions powers parallel to those of Christ."
---John Frame (P&R 2008) 902


No comments:

Post a Comment