Sunday, April 15, 2012

Co-opted

Do we give much thought to art? Do we appreciate art for its intrinsic value? Do we appreciate its value to point us to an ideal? Do we give much thought to the importance of art as it relates to culture making or character shaping?

Most of us "use" or engage art daily. We engage art primarily or exclusively as consumers. Art has for most of us become another commodity to consume for recreational purposes. Historically art had use, use to point its viewers, hearers, readers, to the transcendent, to God. What does art point us to today?

As I came home today I heard a song I like from Johnny Cash, and thought, "I really like this song." Only to find out it was being used to promote a new video game. Today the telos of good art is to get me to purchase a video game. Somethings is wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment