Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Sacramentally Anemic?



Is it possible that Protestants have largely become sacramentally anemic? In losing a sacramental focus have we lost a proper ecclesiastical ontology (what is the churches’ identity?). Have we come to believe that somehow the sermon ought to be the highpoint of our coming together? I would suggest that yes, indeed, the protestant landscape has become sacramentally anemic and seeing the church as the worshiping community has become ill-defined. So our view of church has shifted to church as the listening, thinking, consuming community rather than a community of personal koinonia.


Leron Shultz writes, “The Christian community experiences salvation as the transformation of knowing and being known in embodied or sacramental fellowship. Sacramentality is essential to corporate identity of those who are called into this life of faithful forgiving (see The Faces of Forgiveness).

Gordon Dalbey, in his article entitled Busted at Mass shares his experience attending Catholic Mass he writes:

"I can only tell you that something happens to me at a Catholic mass that doesn't happen when I take Communion at my church. I don't know what it is, but there's power here, and I've been drawn to it." Continue reading..



No comments:

Post a Comment